HOW TO WEAR MOM JEANS WHEN YOU’RE NOT A MOM
jeans highlighting the flat curvature of the 40+ buttocks. Similes: upside-down-heart shaped-butt. Commonly seen accompanied with front butt. Extremely high waist, and always a crappy shade of blue or black. Usually found in Kohl’s or Mervyn’s.“Susie, now that you’ve had 10 kids, let’s get you into some mom jeans.”
So why am I crushing out big time on the signature 80s piece with the elongated crotch large enough to pack a piece? There are just so many reasons but here’s five SURE-FIRE reasons to wear Mom jeans.
- I can get away with wearing a bralet like this Calvin Klein beaut and not appear like I’m going through a mid-life crisis. I wouldn’t be wearing it for an interview, mind.
- When I bend down, no-one has the (dis)pleasure of viewing more than they can chew.
- I can channel my inner Mary J.Blige and strut around like I’m ghetto-tastic while secretly swatting up on existential dilemmas via Beckett and Boethius.
- Muffin tops are non-existent: Mom jeans are a permission slip to eat my favourite Dublin Doughnut Co/Aungier Dangerdoughnuts, a malted hot chocolate at Vice Coffe Inc. and then some.
- I can stash at least one banana in the pockets and pretend I’m packing in the event of a vicious mugging. Acting skills 101, y’all.
Strangcore is a thing – how to wear Mom jeans – the redux
It’s not just me, the cognoscenti of fashion are all getting to grips with this trend. Even before the pitch perfect normcore outfits of everyone’s favourite justice-loving dreamboat Dean Strang (‘Strangcore‘, FYI) ofMaking a Murderer, the big-ass-small-waist style was cropping up on everyone from Kendall Jenner to Beyonce and if Beyonce says it’s OK, then it must be kosher, right? Right!
Faux fur was once the purview of pimps and rappers but not anymore! Whether it’s accents of furriness via a multi-hued popsicle at Charlotte Simone or full-on ewok-inspired fuzzy vibes via Shrimps, the street stylers and trendcasters can’t get enough of the faux fur phenomenon. Hell, even furry nails are a thing for the upcoming autumn/winter season. You heard it here first. And faux fur’s first lady Hannah Weiland of Shrimps has confirmed a ready-to-wear collection as well as a capsule collection of silk pieces she’s appropriately named Shrimps Silkies. Hurrah! Now that’s how to wear Mom jeans and nail on-point insouciant street style chic.
Faux fur jacket: Dresses.ie
Mom Jeans: Topshop
Bum bag: Topshop, previous season.
Bracelet: Antique, borrowed from my sis.
Louis Vuitton Speedy 30: Louis Vuitton @ Brown Thomas.