SEQUINS AND GLITTER – THE MAGPIE’S DELIGHT
Sequins and glitter were once relegated to the wardrobe of your jazzy great aunt. You know the one, sassy blue/pink rinse, velour trackies and some gold bling that Riccardo Tisci would be envious of? She’s the spice of life in her retirement community. However, glitz and glam dressing is no longer purely the purview of octogenarian sauce pots although Baddie Winkle is giving anyone under 80 a serious run for her money. Check out her Instagram, stat. Here are five tried and tested rules to apply when wearing sequins and glitter in the daytime without looking like an 80s throwback (because that would be a whole other blog post).
HOW TO ROCK SEQUINS AND GLITTER – THE FIVE COMMANDMENTS
- Embrace your inner disco ball. Maximal dressing is fun. Very, very fun. No point wearing it with a pair of black polyester trousers (my sartorial HELL). Pair your sequins and glitter with something equally maximalist. In other words, go WHOLE (FULL) HOG.
- Be a diva. Celine, Whitney, Beyonce; whoever floats your boat, be that gal. You’ve got to own this look and whether that’s customising your latte (em, you’re paying €3.50 so ask for extra foam, almond milk and two shots, girl, you deserve it) or listening to the Beegees whilst strutting like a badass, just be you! Unless you are a boring drip. Don’t be that. But nobody’s boring, right? We are all dynamic, interesting people with rich inner lives. Embrace it.
3. Keep your hair casual
Don’t get an up-do in Peter Mark’s. OK, the 90s is making a comeback and it’s great to stand out but maybe save that for the debs ball with your otter boyf. You god damn cougar, you! Rarr.
4. Minimalise accessories
Glitter and sequins are the business for infusing some shine factor in your wardrobe. And though I’m a major proponent of a hoop party, keeping the accesories schtum makes for a casual daytime look that screams confidence and really packs a punch.
5. The final commandment is the most important. Be confident. Be you. You can pull off this look as well as any other look you truly feel comfortable in. Now go forth and conquer.
ANATOMY OF THE SHOOT
Photos: Neal Byrne
Styling, concept: me
Knit and skirt, & Other Stories, on the sale recently.
Socks and boots, Topshop.
GET THE LOOK:
Siopaella does fab sequin tops in their Crow Street and Temple Lane South stores.
Sequin sweaters I love:
- GUCCI I’ve won the Lotto most decadently beautiful top ever.
- Marc Jacobs sweatshirt of DREAMS
- Manoush rose gold dress at Urban Outfitters
- Ashish bomber jacket at Net a Porter
- Marc Jacobs glitter pussy bow dress at Net a Porter
- Max Mara middle of the high-end road beaut
- Topshop maribou bomber
- Zeus & Dione metallic blouse at Net a Porter
- Topshop sequinned jeans
- Topshop sequin mini skirt
- E.F.L.A. sequin pencil skirt at Asos
- One Above Other oversized tee dress at Asos
- Froccupy bomber with beaded sleeves
- River Island leather look skirt
- Glamorous paisley sequin skirt
- River Island gold sequin tee
- Siopaella sequin skater dress
- Savida silver culottes